Apple usually waits until the fall to introduce its latest iPhones, but thanks to leaks and rumors, we’re getting a pretty good idea of what to expect from the iPhone 12 in advance of that phone’s launch later this year. And it sounds like we’ve got plenty to look forward to with this year’s batch of phones.
IPHONE 12: WHAT TO EXPECT
• Release date: Fall 2020
•Models: iPhone 12 (5.4 inches), iPhone 12 Max (6.1 inches), iPhone 12 Pro (6.1 inches), iPhone 12 Pro Max (6.7 inches)
• Prices: $649 (iPhone 12), $749 (iPhone 12 Max), $999 (iPhone 12 Pro), $1,099 (iPhone 12 Pro Max)
• Processor: A14 (all models)
• Screens: OLED (all models)
• Other features: 5G compatibility, LiDAR sensor on the iPhone 12 Pro, 120Hz refresh rate on iPhone 12 Pro display
That’s right — phones. The iPhone 12 is expected to come in four models: the 5.4-inch iPhone 12; 6.1-inch iPhone 12 Max; 6.1-inch iPhone 12 Pro; and 6.7-inch iPhone 12 Pro Max. All of the new iPhone 12 devices should feature OLED displays and 5G connectivity, but the iPhone 12 Pro series would steep up to a 120Hz refresh’s rate and three rear cameras plus a LiDAR sensor.
We could also see a new design for Apple’s phones, one that hearkens back to the iPhone 5’s flat edges and more squared off look. And there should be a smaller notch, too.
The iPhone 12 isn’t expected until the fall — and even then, there’s some question as to when the phone might go on sale — but here’s everything we know so far about Apple’s next smartphones.
Latest iPhone 12 news (updated June 11)
- A swath of iPhone 12 model numbers just leaked in a regulatory filing on the Eurasian Economic Commission’s database.
- A new report on the iPhone 12 says that mass production will start in July, but one prominent leaker has shot that down.
- Renders based on case retailer mock-ups show off the iPhone 12’s potential design. A concept video based on iPhone 12 Pro rumors also caught our eye.
- An Apple patent has surfaced that would allow an iPhone to stitch together multiple selfies from different iPhones, a feature that could debut on the iPhone 12.
Even if the iPhone 12 does arrive in September, the most premium model could be held back. According to an April 2020 supply chain report, the standard iPhone 12 series will enter mass production in September, while the rumored iPhone 12 Pro Max will follow suit in October.